Sunday, February 17, 2013

So Maybe It's True

My aunt sent me shirts from the US for the New Year. The shirts were sealed in zipper bags. I opened the first one, a very nice Hollister shirt. I took a shirt I already owned to compare the size and see if it fit (I couldn't try it on because I had already showered for the night). Looked like it fit.

The second shirt was from A&F. I opened the zipper bag. The deep musk of the A&F Fierce fragrance issued forth. The shirt must have soaked in the vapours of the store for a very long time.

I froze in the middle of the hall, holding the shirt to my nose. As long as I held it there, I was back, it all came back, crashing down around me.

Right now it's a few metres away, on the couch, just laying there. My sense of smell feels dulled now, I must have sniffed it for a while.

Occasionally hints of the fragrance will float by (it's that strong). On these wisps ride memories, fainter and fainter each time, evaporating away when I try to hold on to them, dissipating irretrievably into the past.

I really left my soul back there.

0 comments: